Tramp No (1171) Hunters Track Sunday 6 December 2020 Onboard: Lorna (leader), Tess(co-leader), Anna, Michiel, Ian, Tameem, Carl & Little Ted. Departed Mill Lane 7am with 7 trampers including 1 newbie. Just one no show! The weather forecast was mostly sunny. Lorna drove the fancy Merc van to the starting point on the Old Kaimai Rd in good time. On the way Anna pointed out more men than women on the tramp. Which is quite rare on a day tramp. While booting up at the back of the van, me and Ian had to retrieve bags which blew out, due to gusts of strong wind. Lorna gave a heads up and we were off at 8:25am. A quick look at the map on the DOC sign before descending a couple of animal absent fields via stiles. Another group of brisk trampers passed by as we entered the bush. We followed the well marked Henderson Tramline Track (North), heading for Hurunui Hut for mid morning tea. Within a few minutes of entering the bush we crossed a couple of streams with more to follow. Heading mostly upwards in the bush we warmed up, most of us delayered. The track was a little muddy and stream crossings slippery. We came across a young man with a magnifying glass. We enquired about his business, he showed us something very small. Orchids growing on the side of the track (spider orchids). At 10am a little further on we met up with the brisk trampers having a break at the track junction. We followed the South Track through bush and occasional open sunny clearings, until we reached the Hurunui Hut at 10:40am. We said hello to a young family who had just vacated the hut. A 20 minute mid morning tea went down well with a few photos taken, then back to tramping. This was the start of the hunters track which need care to follow markers in much thicker bush. After a few backtracks we came across what at first looked like a Christmas Tree, with 3 long branches sticking out of the top. Too big for Little Ted to climb. More thick bush with lots of bush lawyer, streams and clearings. We came to a wire fence and scaled it to go up steep farmland. Passing through a gate at the top we followed a short farm track to the start of a steeper hill topped with a rocky outcrop. Beyond that was a bluey green radar ball, our destination for lunch. We walked along a single track road passing various communication towers with hazey views over the Bay of Plenty & the Waikato Basin. At 1pm we reached the ball, which was made up of a patchwork of bluey green hexagons and looked a bit like a football. We had lunch which was well overdue. I shared a bottle of cold beer with Ian. Half an hour later we entered the bush via an unmarked track which followed the ridge heading north. It was muddy with lots of tree roots. The only good thing was it descended most of the way. At 3pm we returned to the South Track junction without the brisk trampers and had a break. Tameem found a GeoCan hidden in a nearby bush. Lorna told us about them, and what to do. The GeoCan was placed back and we started the last leg of the tramp at 3:15. One last look at the orchids, back over the streams and in the van for 4:50pm. I drove back with Ian riding shotgun. Stopped at a new place for ice cream but it wasn't opening until next week, to Michiel's disappointment . So we decided not to wait and carried on home. This was a great tramp with a bit of everything and quite challenging in places. Not hard but long. Tramp was 8hrs 15min ish. Falls 0. Injuries 1 (Ian got a cut). Ice cream stop NONE. Many thanks to Lorna (Leader & Driver) & Tess (Co-Leader) Tramp Reflection by Carl Richards & Little Ted.

The weather can often be fickle in spring with raincoats the order of the day but this year we seem to have enjoyed a dry stable patch, at least in the upper North Island, which has allowed most of the club’s trips to go ahead in the dry.   So, it proved on this tramp which was fortuitous as we had one of the club’s largest turnouts with 17 trampers, including 5 new faces.

With plenty of chat it seemed no time at all before we arrived at the end of Franklin Road and the start of the tramp. After getting our gear sorted and introductions all round, we had barely gone a dozen paces when a couple of observant members looked back to see the door of the van still open. A rather sheepish driver returned to lock the van before we all followed the Waitawheta Tramline for approx. forty or so minutes before branching off to Daly’s clearing hut.

I had forgotten how pretty and healthy the second-growth bush on this track is, clad in fresh spring growth with a sprinkling of Rewarewa flowers on the ground. With only a slight uphill gradient It wasn’t long before we arrived at Daley’s where we stopped for morning tea in the sunshine.

Fifteen or so minutes after the hut we turned right onto the Mangakino Pack Track and followed this through to the Waitawheta River which we had to cross a couple of times. Lynne had warned us that the river could be deep and swift after rain but this wasn’t the case today with Jane, one of our new members, rock hopping across without getting her shoes wet while Janice changed into boat shoes which she had thoughtfully packed. For the rest of us it was wet feet.

The walk down the river was lovely with plenty of huge Kauri to admire. DOC has done a good job of fencing off the trees and rerouting the track to avoid these giants of the forest and hopefully they do not suffer the fate of their northern cousins.

An hour or so later we arrived at Dickeys Flat car park where we organised a couple of car shuttles and then all drove to Paeroa where it was ice creams all round and the end of a very enjoyable day out. Thanks to Lynne and Ian for organising and leading the trip.

Tramp 1122 - Trip Report Piro Piro – Timber Trail

The plan for this trip was to walk the second half of the popular Cycle Trail in Pureora, with a camp overnight along the way. Eight keen people had booked in and Mike & Wendy were also driving down and planning on doing a day walk in & out.

We were fortunate enough to have the luxury of staying at John & Debbie’s in Waimiha on the Friday night, this meant we didn’t have to start the day with a damp tent nor get up really early on Saturday morning.

With a dinner stop in Te Kuiti (at Tiffany’s – who did a great job getting our tasty meals out really quickly, even though they were super busy) before heading off the remainder of the way to Waimiha.

An early start in the morning we were on the trail walking just after 08:00 from the Piro Piro campsite. We had 23 km’s to cover on day one so a reasonably big day on hard surfaces.

The Timber trail (particularly the second half) has lots of interesting history or the Ellis & Burnand timber company and the logging history of the area, including settlements ‘camps’ that were big enough to even have schools at one time. It boasts some fantastic suspension bridges, a rail spiral and information boards with all manner of stories and history on them. And of course lots of beautiful bush and scenery along the way.

We made it to “Historic Camp No 10’ around 15:30 so had plenty of time to set up camp and relax prior to it getting dark.

After a nights rest, the aches & pains from the day before had faded and day two was only 16 km’s. Although we had a reasonable shower this didn’t last long and the promised forecast of rain didn’t arrive.  

Anne had walked out yesterday, and this morning driven the wan around to the Bennet Road car-park and walked in to meet us with Debbie. We all arrived back at the van somewhere around 13:00 so it again had made good time – perhaps it was the call of hot food & coffee that spurred us on. A stop at Bosco café certainly was certainly appreciated.

This trip was always going to be cruisy (a stroll rather than a tramp) with the incentive of brunch or lunch at the Rhubarb Café in Arapuni at the half-way point.  Unfortunately, the aforementioned café decided to take a mini mid-winter break this particular weekend, so an alternative had to be found.  Read on to find out more ….

We started the walk at Jones Landing, a few kilometers past Arapuni.  From there we climbed up to a lookout point with great views back over Lake Arapuni.  It wasn’t much of a climb, but it did warm us up, so we were happy to shed a layer or two at this point.

From the lookout the trail is gently undulating all the way to Arapuni, where we took advantage of the picnic tables for a snack and cuppa.  We then took a short loop walk over the Arapuni swing bridge, looked down on the Powerhouse, and rejoined the track a few hundred meters downstream.

From this point on the trail is almost flat, and therefore much more popular with cyclists than the previous section. It includes the Huihuitaha Boardwalk over a wetland area and takes you right by the river’s edge for most of the time.  It’s only about 5.5km from Arapuni to Little Waipa Reserve, so we made it there by early afternoon and chatted away amongst ourselves while we waited for the van to collect us.

We then headed back towards Hamilton, taking a detour at Karapiro to visit the Boatshed Café for coffee and snacks; a very smart establishment, right on the banks of the lake. The menu was enticing and reasonably priced so while some of us enjoyed a coffee (or a wine!) others tucked into some of the more substantial dishes on offer. A very nice way to end a pleasant day in a very pretty part of the Waikato.

Participants: Anne, Janice, Kathy, Carl, Ian, Sharon, Annie & Tony, Lynda, Lea, Christina and Lynne.

Written by Janice Eland (first time tramper)

January 13 2019 Aongatete – Wairere Falls

Being my first long tramp, I was looking forward to the challenge but also looking forward to meeting new people. Both a success. What a great bunch of people. Mixed abilities and so welcoming to new comers.

Starting with a toilet run and can gladly say it was clean + a bonus of running water, the small things in life. The weather was cooler than the previous day so ideal tramping conditions.

First sign at Aongatete Loop track – 6 hours to Wairere falls. And we all set off in good spirits. Walking though the lovely bush with a slight incline, path way dry with only a few wet patches. We hit the first river crossing and we have a walker down, the lovely Jane takes a little dip, but the guys are to the rescue to assist. All good and we are off up a more steeper incline. After an hour in we have a sarnie (sandwich) and water break. The group stays together well, and we set a good pace. Walking along the riverside was just lovely and so peaceful walking though beauty of the bush. I was amazed that we didn’t see any other trampers but that’s the beauty of New Zealand.

Quick dip and a cooling of the feet at the next quick stop, what a spectacular dive from Ian. Nature at its best, such clear water surrounded by the bush.

We then begin the uphill, motivation is lunch and a nice view so onwards and upwards we go with Kathryn leading the way and Ian bringing up the rear. Bit of a climb but a good pace to make it comfortable. Few slippy bits and whoops we are a man down, good job Jane has a large bag to land on, she‘s a trooper and loves her tramping trips. We make it, a few tired legs but we are all in good spirits and ready for a feed. Having a lovely lunch and natter while taking in the views.

We then make our way through the bush with a bit more of an incline until we reach a nice long stretch to ease those legs off. Oh no we may have lost the driver, not at meeting point. Let’s have a break by the stream and leave a note. Moving on with only 20 minutes away from the falls we bump into our driver, Michiel, good we are not walking home.

Wow - now that’s a tall tree and a great picnic spot at the back of the falls (approx. 15 mins away)

We reach the top of the falls but not a lot of water as not so spectacular as I’ve seen before but still amazing views. Bit of a bite to eat and a snooze for Jane.

We start with the descent. Nice steady pace meeting lots of people on the way up. All looking forward to a dip at the bottom, bit of a muggy day so a cool swim will be appreciated. We stop at the viewing point for the falls, breathtaking! You can’t beat it.

Last leg and we pick up the pace to get to that cool water. Wow Wow Wow the water looks amazing. Tessa is the first in with no messing, quickly followed by Debbie. Me being a novice I need to take my boots off first. That felt amazing, what a great way to end a great walk with great company.